I’m not proud of this, but I am definitely one of those people who laughs inappropriately when people trip and fall. I just can’t control it…and I love it.
I remember a specific day in college right after a big snowstorm; classes were still going on and everyone was bundled up, carefully creeping along the sidewalks in efforts to stay on their feet. One particular patch of black ice took down nearly every person who was unfortunate enough to choose that fatal pathway. The student union possessed the perfect window, with the perfect vantage point to sit and watch the show….and that I did. And laughed so hard my cheeks hurt for a solid 30 minutes after the show.
To clarify, I don’t think it’s funny when people are in pain; I just think it’s hilarious to watch people fall. I apologize; I know I’m terrible. But finding guilty humor in events that bring embarrassment to others is nothing new. As Dr. Dave Verhaagen recently stated in his article Seinfield, Schumer, and C.K. Offend Us Way Too Much, “For it to be funny there must be some kind of violation, whether mild or extreme.” Verhaagen was specifically referring to the humor used by comedians, but I suggest that the sentiment applies to people falling as well. It’s only funny because embarrassment is involved; however, the second someone is genuinely hurt, it’s no longer funny.
Given this cruel pleasure, I naturally smiled to myself over the weekend when I heard that Ariana Grande fell on stage (AGAIN). So I decided to do some “research” and come up with my list of the top 10 celebrity wipeouts. As far as I can tell, no celebrity was physically harmed…their egos on the other hand… Enjoy!
- Beyoncé on stage in Orlando – No wonder she fell! She was probably a bit dizzy from all the hair whipping!
- Iggy Azzalea – You can just see this coming…which makes it even better.
- Michelle Williams from Destiny’s Child – Poor girl. Michelle group members barely glance at her, and when they do, they look at her like she’s an annoying bug.
- Mariah Carey – This also includes the worst recovery ever! Mariah keeps talking about the shoes that caused the fall…in the middle of the song, and then calls someone out on stage (again, in the middle of the song!) to take her shoes off !
- Lady Gaga – There are simply too many to choose from, so here is a compilation video of seven Lady Gaga wipeouts.
- Katy Perry – Um…too much to comment on…I am laughing but disturbed and awkward at the same time.
- Robbie Williams – I feel even more awkward watching him try to recover. (Beware of language.)
- Luke Bryan – These singers really need to remember where the stage ends…
- Here is Taylor Swift wiping out. And after she looked so cool throwing a chair off the stage.
- And to the one who inspired this list: Ariana Grande.